Thursday, January 29, 2009

In Heaven

That's where my mother's beautiful spirit landed today when she took flight from the narrow confines of earth. My sister Jamie was with her, holding her hand, patting her shoulder, singing to her. I'm so glad she wasn't alone at the time of her departure.

When I was a child, I never called her Mommy. It was always Mama. And when I was older, I switched to Mother. But soon after Jamie called with the news of her passsing, instinctively I cried out several times, "My Mommy is gone, my Mommy is gone!" Then thoughts of the wonderful welcome she was receiving in heaven filled me with comfort, and happiness for her. Daddy's there, my brother Jim, too, our cute Jordan, her parents, siblings, and many friends. What a party! An eternalparty! Save some nectar and ambrosia for me, Mama, I'll be coming along later.

Quite a bit later, it turns out.... unless unexpected developments await. I kept another New Year's resolution yesterday by having an appointment with my local oncologist. It'd been awhile since I'd seen him. I could not bring myself to go back to that clinic where Jordan had had to spend so much time, until I was strong enough to handle it. Everyone was very kind, my blood work looked good, I'm doing great! The doc asked if I wanted to come back in a year or in six months. Just to be really nice, and to help keep him in plenty of vacation and investing money, I said I'd come back in six months. Party party for me! I know this stubborn old CLL, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, is slowly, slowly scheming to take over my bone marrow, but in the meantime I am enjoying my life. We talked about which drugs to use next time to knock it down, when it comes out swinging again.

Back to heaven for a moment, here's a heavenly thought to ponder from President Lorenzo Snow:
"Think of the promises that are made to you in the beautiful and glorious ceremony that is used in the marriage covenant in the temple. When two Latter-day Saints are united together in marriage, promises are made to them concerning their offspring, that reach from eternity to eternity. They are promised that they shall have the power and the right to govern and control and administer salvation and exaltation and glory to their offspring worlds without end. And what offspring they do not have here, undoubtedly there will be opportunities to have them hereafter. What else could man wish? A man and a woman in the other life, having celestial bodies, free from sickness and disease, glorified and beautified beyond description, standing in the midst of their posterity, governing and controlling them, administering life, exaltation, and glory, worlds without end” (Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, 138).

My worthy, faithful parents will always be my parents, my siblings my siblings, my husband my husband, our children our children, and so on and on. Worlds and worlds of family without end. Gloria in excelsis Deo!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom:

She was a great friend, counselor, mother, teacher, wife, Georgia peach, and grandma! How we will miss her until that glorious reunion in the hereafter. Keep the faith, and let the blogging flow forth as pure waters.

Love,

Ethan

Anonymous said...

She is and was a delight not a selfish bone in her body and took great delight in children, always a smile on her face and a tneder heart for all the grandbabies !!!!!

Bonnie said...

You are both so right. I just love her so much. I'm not surprised that so many are going to such lengths to get all the way down to Georgia to gather in her honor.

Becky Noftle said...

Bonnie, I am so sad to hear about the death of your Mother and so elated to hear about your Doctor's appointment. Love and sympathy to you and yours.

Bonnie said...

Thanks so much, Becky. I guess that's called knowing the bitter and the sweet. I do so love the sweet though.

~pollyanna said...

My dear sweet aunt rook flight the day after your mother (30th)... she had been without her darling eternal companion for many years and I know he was the first to greet her with open arms...

It's been almost 2 years since my momma took flight... and she and daddy danced "on" the stars a few weeks later when he joined her too...

So when I found out about my aunt all I could think was that my momma was having a grand ol' time catching up on events... with her little sister...

Unknown said...

Sad to hear about your mother, but I'm glad that you are in good health! It's a wonderful reassurance to know that our family members who have passed on are in heaven, waiting for us to join them as well.

Bonnie said...

Polly, what a reunion your aunt and mom must be having!
Lydia, yea and yay! You're right on all counts.

~pollyanna said...

Bee... I sent a message about your comment on my blog to your hotmail email... if you aren't still using that one, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Mom,

We have been sharing stories and memories of Grandma Smith since her passing. Every one is a sweet reflection of her life and the impact she had on so many people. What an amaizing legacy she blazed for us to follow. Because of her and her husband many thousands have been blessed. I have always felt so honored to tell people about my proper, sweet, southern Grandma. I cant wait to see you in Georgia Mom.
Love, Kimball.