Saturday, January 24, 2009

On Doubting

A few months ago, I learned from a reliable source that a mutual friend had become a self-described atheist. Since that time I've been trying to understand how one loses one's faith and goes from believing in a loving God to denying His existence altogether. In this person's case, I think I've gained a pretty good idea of how it happened. I know now that no one is immune from losing his faith, and so I'm sounding a warning to all! Only, it's not my voice you'll hear, it's the voice of a prophet of God. Now that's someone worth listening to!

President Thomas S. Monson:
Should doubt knock at your doorway, just say to those skeptical, disturbing, rebellious thoughts: “I propose to stay with my faith, with the faith of my people. I know that happiness and contentment are there, and I forbid you, agnostic, doubting thoughts,to destroy the house of my faith. I grant that I cannot explain the miracles of theBible, and I do not attempt to do so, but I accept God’s word. I wasn’t with Joseph, but I believe him. My faith did not come to me through science, and I will not permitso-called science to destroy it. When I change my mind about God and His work, only the inspiration of God will change it.” (from a CES Fireside on Jan. 11, 2009, and also on Nov. 6, 2005)

Then there's this to consider from Orson Scott Card, a noted author, a clearer thinker and communicator than I, and a man I highly regard:
"Henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive" (Ephesians 4:14).
The "winds of doctrine" in our culture blow this way and that, sometimes advanced by charlatans (as with "recovered memories") and sometimes by fervent believers who don't pause to question their own questions.What makes me sad is how many Latter-day Saints leap like kites into these winds and then cut the thread of faith that would have left them with some connection to truth. Untethered, they blow wherever the wind takes them.They think they're smarter than ordinary Latter-day Saints. They think they have"graduated from the gospel." In fact they have flunked out.

I don't mean that faithful Saints never question anything. In fact, the gospel ofJesus Christ, just like good science, demands that believers find out the truth of old and new revelations for ourselves.If the gospel is true, it can bear all manner of questions -- as long as we are open-minded enough to keep questioning. To doubt our own doubts. To be skeptical of our skepticism.But the common pattern is for would-be "intellectuals" to seize upon some scrap of evidence that either justifies their sins or allows them to feel superior to the poor rubes who actually believe all that "gospel stuff," and then refuse to admit any further questions or evidence.But I ask: Are you actually applying your mind to test these ideas? Or are you merely joining a club of people who believe them without question? (from "Avoiding theSyndrome of Shaken Faith," Mormon Times).

When I was being harshly blown about, not so much by the winds of doctrine but by the storms of life circumstances, it was my testimony of Jesus Christ that kept me anchored to safety and security. I know, I know, safety and security are so unexciting, so tame. You're an adventurer! Nevertheless, please, please, when you feel the hungry winds howling about you, don't let them have their way with you. Counsel with those of strong faith. Don't try to go it alone, or turn to others who are blowing in the breeze. Don't give up!Too much is at stake! Fight to "be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life!" (Mosiah 5:15).

This promise from Elder Richard G. Scott resonates with truth to me, and I hope it does to you too. I've actually experienced it to some degree!
"You cannot today remotely imagine what that decision to be unwaveringly obedient to the Lord will allow you to accomplish in life. Your quiet, uncompromising determination to live a righteous life will couple you to inspiration and power beyond your capacity now to understand" (Making the Right Decisions," Ensign, May 1991, 34).

I believe all these things with all my heart, and I write them for you to read when you need them, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, Amen with you! May we keep those kite strings tight as we are buffeted by the winds of the world !!!!!

~pollyanna said...

Our own family has been going through this too, with a beloved child... it's a hard challenge... It was not a gradual thing at all in his case... Even understanding what changed... how to help loved ones back is a real dilemma.

Bonnie said...

HI Anony. And Polly, I'm so sorry you're acquainted with this particularly painful problem. We can never be sure a friend, a relative, a child, even a grandchild, won't take a turn down this path! That's why I feel so strongly that warnings are in order.

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends and a missionary companion did not turn athiest, but she did leave the church. She was one of the best missionaries in the field.She had a particular challenge that she was never able to overcome...and so I think she just gave in and gave up.I still do not think God has given up on her, though...

Bonnie said...

I bet you're 100% right about that, Iris.

Unknown said...

We have been discussing precisely this in my Book of Mormon class, and I know from personal experience that doubts tend to be ourselves looking to excuse our own weaknesses. What I love about the gospel is that it all makes perfect sense if you really take the time to ponder... and the more I learn about the atonement, the more I don't want to let Jesus down.

Love you aunt Bonnie!

Bonnie said...

Lydia, you are such a total sweetheart. Love you too!