Saturday, January 10, 2009

Catch A Falling Star

Better yet, you might want to catch a rising star. That would be Colin, or maybe even me. Our first gig has been booked for this coming week. We're sure to be the singing sensation for the over seventy crowd in no time! I was poised to ask for your suggestions on what to call our little duo, but maybe The Rising Stars would be a good name. What do you think? If you come up with something we like better, you just may win an autographed copy of our first CD....if there ever is a first CD. We'll be singing eight golden oldies: Chattanooga Choo-Choo, Catch a Falling Star, Que Sera Sera, Honey Comb, Running Bear, Doggie in the Window, Way Down Upon the Swanee River, and O Susannah. Wish us luck! Please!

My sweet little mother lives with my sister, Jamie, in Melbourne, FL. She began receiving hospice care just before Christmas, and it looks like her time on earth is growing short. My siblings and i, and other friends and relatives, will most likely be meeting in our hometown of Moultrie, GA, to honor and pay tribute to her before much longer. My mom is the ultimate rising star, and I will love her always, and miss her for awhile, until we are reunited. I talked to her today. Her speech was slurred and slow, but she still managed to give her favorite and most important message to me, "I love all my children. I have the best children in the world, and I hope they know how much I love them." She said she wished we all lived in the same town. And, Mom, I think we will someday! I am counting on it.

As for our other rising star, it's young Shane Joseph Washburn. He got a mention in our local newspaper today. Go, Shane the lion-hearted! Roar your way to wrestling stardom, in this, your senior year!

"The eventual winner of the 130-pound division at the 2009 Rollie Lane Invitational wrestling tournament will have the ultimate bragging rights. Of the 16 wrestlers who advanced to the second day of the tournament, the top eight seeds have loaded resumes."

"There's a lot of good wrestlers at 130 pounds," Mountain View High coach Cliff Laughlin said. "They are all competitive and they're all good athletes. They all know each other, so when they go out there and do battle, they know what the other guy's going to do and sometimes it just comes up to athleticism. The guy that's going to win is the better athlete or better at that time period."

"Three of the 130-pound qualifiers are reigning state champions, including two who are also defending Rollie Lane champs. American Falls' Paden Johnson and Salmon's Otto Phillips won state and Rollie last season. Johnson claimed the 130-pound 3A state and Rollie titles, while Phillips was the 3A 125-pound and Rollie winner. Lewiston's Tracey Huffman rounds out the reigning state title holders in the class.He won the 5A 125-pound state championship a year ago. At least five others - Mountain View's Holden Packard, Blackfoot's Kyle Williams, Borah's Shane Washburn, Burns, Oregon's Brendan Palmer and Nyssa, Oregon's Kyle Schoorl- have been state winners, placers or qualifiers in previous seasons....."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/628297.html

3 comments:

Shanna said...

Oh that sounds fun, and I hope you do make a CD. I know a few people who would snatch those up! Sorry to hear about your Mother...That is a hard thing. I haven't lost my mom obviously, but my Mother-in-law who I loved. It looks like you are having a busy New Year!

~pollyanna said...

Wow... it's been 2 years since we we were on hospice watch with momma... you are all in my prayers... such a bitter-sweet time. My your experience with this transition be protected by the spirit of the Lord, as mine was with my own parents.

I love you, dear friend...

Becky Noftle said...

I'll be the CD at full price even!! So sorry to hear about your Mom heavens blessings to you all.