Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Februlous Fabuary

I've always been partial to the month of February, the month of love. Dan and I had our very first date on Feb. 4th, 1972. We went to a BYU basketball game in the Marriott Center. I even remember what I wore...purple bell bottoms and a purple and white sweater. Woo-woo, love was in the air that night, and it still is. Dan and I will be with many, many loved ones that we rarely see this weekend. I'm expecting it to be like a little bit of heaven on earth. I wish I could have purchased tickets for our whole family to be with us there, but that's not possible. We're going to Georgia for my Mom's funeral.

Funerals don't always mean only tears and sorrow. In my Mother's case, even though there will surely be some tears, it will mostly be a time of rejoicing in the knowledge that heaven is real, that she is there, and that if we prepare well, we'll be there together someday. I cherish my life here, but with Jordan and more and more loved ones there, heaven is becoming an ever-increasingly desirable destination!

We're spending Thursday and Sunday nights in SLC at the home of my sister, Julie, and Friday and Saturday in GA. I'm thinking there will be angels among us throughout our travels. As it now stands, Colin will drive us to Utah and visit with some of his former missionary buddies, Shane will hold down the fort here at home, and Brianna left yesterday for a month of intensive yoga study in Colorado. (BTW, Shane got his 100th win of his high school wrestling career last night!!!) Coming together to honor the lives and love of James and Myrtice Smith, makes this a February among Februaries, a month devoted to an eternal family's supernal love.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope your Valentine's Day weekend goes well, and travel safely! My V-days usually don't turn out too well, but you have inspired me to try and make this year a good experience. I hope the funeral goes well.

Unknown said...

Bonnie, I am always uplifted when I read your writings. I am happy for Mother too and will miss so much being with the family but am extremely happy my children will be there. I want to hear all about it. So glad your health is stable as we need our Bell to keep ringing or writing the good news.
Love! Becky

Bonnie said...

Go have a happy Valentine's Day, Lydia! Our weekend was a lovely one, and I thank you for your good wishes for us.

Becky, I'll write to you all about everything that happened and your children. They were wonderful and represented you beautifully! Love, B