Saturday, February 14, 2009

6,760,432,843 hearts

The current world population stands at six billion, seven hundred sixty million, four hundred thirty-two thousand, eight hundred forty-three! Presumably, almost every one of these people has a heart, and every heart has a condition of some kind or other. I'm personally aware of light and happy hearts, and of heavy, hurting hearts. I know of soft hearts and hard hearts, humble hearts and proud hearts, tiny hearts and great big hearts, strong hearts, weak hearts, brave hearts, pure hearts, all kinds of hearts.


What state is my own heart in? It's in Idaho, of course. Actually, it's in a state of deep concern for dear ones whose hearts are suffering greatly right now. I hope they feel the hearts of many reaching out to them in love and support. The first valentine poems below acknowledge the pain of the broken heart. The later ones hold the promise of a return to love and happiness for them, and celebrate love's present existence.


A heart that's been broken

has a tiny hinge

And when it happens a
second or third time

it just

swings open and shut

like a gate.

Maureen Owen


SIMPLE-SONG


When we are going toward someone we say

you are just like me

your thoughts are my brothers
word matches word

how easy to be together.



When we are leaving someone we say

how strange you are
we cannot communicate

we can never agree
how hard, hard and weary to be together.


We are not different nor alike

but each strange in his leather body

sealed in skin and reaching out clumsy hands

and loving is an act

that cannot outlive

the open hand

the open eye

the door in the chest standing open.

Marge Piercy



Love is like an onion, you taste it with delight.

But when it's gone, you wonder

What ever made you bite.

Love is a funny thing, like a lizard,

It curls around your heart,

And jumps into your gizzard.



Love is swell, its so enticing.
It's orange jell, it's strawberry icing,

It's charlotte russe, it's roasted goose,

It's ham on rye, it's banana pie.
Love is all good things without a question,

In other words, it's indigestion.
Ravi Zacharias




VALENTINE



Chipmunks jump, and

Greensnakes slither.

Rather burst than

Not be with her.


Bluebirds fight, but

Bears are stronger.

We've got fifty

Years or longer.



Hoptoads hop, but

Hogs are fatter.

Nothing else but

Us can matter.


Donald Hall



A NEGRO LOVE SONG



Seen my lady home las' night,

Jump back, honey, jump back.

Hel' huh han' an' sque'z it tight,

Jump back, honey, jump back.
Hyeahd huh sigh a little sigh,

Seen a light gleam f'om huh eye,

An' a smile go flittin' by--

Jump back, honey, jump back.


Hyeahd de win' blow thoo de pine,

Jump back, honey, jump back,

Mockin'-bird was singin' fine,

Jump back, honey, jump back.

An' my hea't was beatin' so,

When I reached my lady's do',
Dat I couldn't ba' to go--

Jump back, honey, jump back.



Put my ahm aroun' huh wais',

Jump back, honey, jump back.

Raised huh lips an' took a tase,

Jump back, honey, jump back.

Love me, honey, love me true?
Love me well ez I love you?

An' she answe'd, "'Cose I do"--

Jump back, honey, jump back.


Paul Laurence Dunbar


My last valentine is a beautiful love song that could make you cry. This is Eva Cassidy, singing Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose by Scottish poet, Robert Burns (1759-1796).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_gqctUZ4Oc&feature=related



I have a valentine's prayer for the Lord, asking Him to bless all hearts to turn to Him, so they can be filled with healing, peace, purity, and joy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have filled my heart, with all your heart thougths !!!!! Love ya!!!

Bonnie said...

Happy Valentine's night to you. You got roses. I got chocolates. For us, it's been a good day!

Becky Noftle said...

Happy Valentines day Bonnie and Co. Glad your trip was pleasant.

Knight Family said...

This is just beautiful!