Saturday, October 18, 2008

Soup's On!

Chunky Papaya Soup


The first time Brianna made her mom's recipe for papaya nut soup, it was with some apprehension that I consented to take a tiny taste. Pared diced apple, pear, and papaya simmered in salted water for a couple of hours with a variety of raw nuts, peanuts, pecans, cashews, walnuts and almonds. A teaspoon or so of canola oil was the only other ingredient. Sounds safe enough, I thought, and the aroma wafting from the kitchen was certainly pleasing. So,... here goes.Mmmmm. It's good! Brianna, it's really good. I thought it might taste all hot and fruity and sweet and weird, but it doesn't. Admittedly, Dan and Shane aren't too keen on it, but we're used to making concessions for them. Who wouldn't, as cool as they are! While Brianna made another batch of the soup today, I made a potato-vegetable medley for them to chow down on instead.


The thing is, it's soup season now, and soup is good food!I guess my old faithfuls are taco soup. potato soup, broccoli cheese soup, and chili.But before the season's over, I'll be trying a few of these new soups on the block: Chicken and Green Chile Soup With Tamale Dumplings, Harvest Pumpkin Corn Bisque, SausageCorn Chowder, and other such hearty fare. If you have a favorite, please pass it along. We'd love to expand our soup repertoir, and there's sure to be plenty of chilly nights ahead, just right for a steaming bowl of soul-satisfying soup.

11 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds good. I must admit I love soup. My favs are chicken noddle and minestroni. I have a recipie I hae been trying to dare that an apple and gouda cheese soup. Maybe we will have to do a recipe swap because I would love to make a broccoli cheese.

Bonnie said...

Great idea, Liz. I've been to cookie swaps, but never a soup swap.

Julie said...

Yippee sounds like the soup is on, I'll bring the hot homemade bread to dip in the wonderful soups y'all are making.

Bonnie said...

Oh yeah, start mixing up that bread, Julie! We're feeling really kneady.

Cindy said...

I have a couple of my favorite soup recipes on thequickandthehungry.blogspot.com under the soup section. One of my favorites isn't on their yet though. I will try to get it up soon. I love the Tom Yum Goong. It's a hot and sour thai soup. It's takes about 10 minutes to make the only trick is getting the soup base which I have a link to buy some online. And of course there is chicken and dumplings.
Happy soup making!

Bonnie said...

Cindy, I will definitely check out those recipes! The Thai soup sounds exotic enough to please Brianna's palate for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Becky Noftle said...

Post the recipes PLEASE!!! All my kids will eat taco soup, broccoli cheese, and a good chili recipe I found. I would love to branch out to more, the best part about cold weather (dare I say the only best part) is the crock pot cooking. It warms the cockels of my heart to know as I run around to kids things that dinner is cooking for me at home, kind of like little fairies in the kitchen!

Bonnie said...

I'll do it, Becky! To think, I can contribute to fairy magic, wow! I'll get some recipes to you in a couple of days. ;)

~pollyanna said...

Hubby says I need the recipe for "Chicken and Green Chile Soup With Tamale Dumplings" ASAP!!!!

Bonnie said...

Oh my, let me send you the link, pronto, Polly! I haven't made this yet myself. If you go for it, let me know how it turns out, ok?
http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/soup-recipes/chicken-chile-soup.htm

Shanna said...

Oh I love soup in the fall too. Some of our favorites are chicken corn chowder; probably similar to sausage corn chowder, and a hamburger soup with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and other yummy stuff. I will post the recipes if you are interested. They are both delicious! Happy Fall Cooking!