Tuesday, October 14, 2008

P.S. I Love You

Back row, left to right:
Jenny, Bonnie, Becky, Jamie
Front row left to right:
John, Julie, Jim


Oh those Beatles. They once set my heart all a-flutter, but then, my 12-year-young heart was practically a perpetual flutter machine anyway. I'm only thinking of John, Paul,George, and Ringo now because I'm dedicating their birthday song to my sister, Jenny.Happy birthday, JennyLissy! (Remember when Mama used to shorten Jenny Melissa like that?)

Jenny lives, and rides her new scooter, in Iowa City, so our paths don't cross as often as we'd like. She has a beautiful alto voice, and I love singing with her.We were just wishing yesterday that we could join forces in a new project I've cooked up, putting together monthly "shows" for a nearby nursing home. We'll see if it comes to fruition, but I'm already having a great time selecting the golden oldie type songs for it.

Back to those Beatles for a minute, remember when I got in big trouble over them?Another of my schemes gone wrong! My friends, Sheila, Tina, and I decided, as 7th-graders, that it was perfectly reasonable for us to leave our residential school in the dead of night, and hitch hike the 90 miles to Atlanta, then live there for awhile earning money by baby-sitting before proceeding on to New York, where we would once again stop to babysit long enough to pay our passage to Liverpool to "meet the Beatles!" It worked about as well as it sounds for us, it was a dismal success, of sorts. The school authorities came down hard on our empty little noggins! A very angry Mr. Jones, the superintendent, picked us up at 1 a.m., and made us get our heavy suitcases we'd decided to leave behind, and drove us to some road he claimed was the road to Atlanta, whereupon he made us get out of the car and start walking.He finally resurfaced and took us back to the school. But bright and early the next morning, he had us walking again, only this time it was walking track for the entire school day. Then I had to face the wrath of my parents. OUCH! No more runningaway from school for me. You know, maybe they really sent me off to school so I wouldn't corrupt my next youngest sibling, Jenny, who was born just 15 months after me. It worked too, because she's wonderful. Things haven't been easy for her, but she has remained faithful, obedient, and kind throughout her many trials. I know she will outlast them, and come out victorious in the own due time of the Lord. Keep a-comin', Jenny, look how far you've already come. Again, happy birthday, sistah, and happy every day!

P.S. If you send us a picture of yourself in your pink helmet and pink and black gloves, riding that scooter, we'll post it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooWhooooo! Aren't the cutest kids in town and yes it would be grand to see Miss Jenny on her scooter! Happy Birthday Jenny, and Bonnie NO more gallivanting on dirt roads to see the Beatles or Paul either !!!

Bonnie said...

Ha, Julie, you can post anonymously all you like. Those multiple exclamation points give you away every time!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, your stories are so wonderful, I do remember how sunburned your shoulders
got from all your
walking track that day and I remember hearing Mom and Dad both grumble a little under
their breath,
over your sparkling high adventurous spirit. I think you scared them quite a bit
that day, I am sure they
worried about your safety, and then they worried that they hadn’t taught you to be
less adventurous.
I guess they just held their breath the way we have all done from time to time. Thank
you for sending
Me such a cute message and I love the beatle’s song, it was a hit today and I had
lots of co-workers
enjoying it with me and enjoying our family picture. I think the next time we all
get together we just need
to eat cake and ice cream for several days to catch up on all our lifes events. Love
ya, Jenny

Anonymous said...

You are a riot Aunt Bonnie!
Love ya
JOY

Bonnie said...

Hi Joy! I may have once been a riot, but now, I'm very, very mellow. Thanks for dropping in! Hope to see you around here again.
Love, Aunt B.

jacksonx03 said...

I have always loved that story about you! Well I received quite the reprimand for commenting on the photo to my mom but nelgecting to comment on your blog. Sorry about that. I merely mentioned to my mother that it suprised me at how similiar I thought Ivy looked like her in that photo. I have never thought they looked alike, but there were definite similiarities in the photo. Love ya!

jacksonx03 said...

p.s. My mom said you might have some good ideas about christmas card sayings. I want to take a cute picture of Ivy in a christmas stocking hat, tights and tutu and put that on the front of a card and say something cute and clever, maybe about Ivy. All I can think of has to do with holly and ivy, but I don't have a holly. Any ideas?

Bonnie said...

Ah, Amy, who could have given you a reprimand? Lonnie only looks tough...he's really a paper tiger. And Julie's fillled with pure white marshmallowy goodness. Both are totally grrrrreat!

I'll put on my stocking cap and get thinking about a cute Christmassy quip. Hope I come up with something. Braihn, don't fail me now!
Love, Aunt Bonbon