Friday, October 10, 2008

Autumn Snow


Early Snow

by Susan Bagley

Autumn yawns from dull routine

and as if to perk up the boring scene,

of fading leaves reluctant to let go,

has sent a surprising Autumn snow.

I stare with wonder across the white-orange lawn

as I ponder where three seasons have already gone.

I reflect on the simile of the icy flakes

collecting, as my memory rakes

through bright recollections, colorful scenes,

withering hope, and fallen dreams.

I sigh with ambivalent attitude,

decide to ignore the thoughts that intrude

on my contemplation of Autumn's glow

competing with the early snow.

Susan, wherever you are, your poem fit this day to a T. I changed the third line though. I hope you never know of it, or if you do, that you don't mind. Go and snow fit much better than boughs and snow. To be fair, here's the original third line:

with the leaves half shaken from gray-brown boughs,

This is the earliest snow of my memory. It's a special day all right, but it wasn't the unexpected drop-in of snow that made it so. It's Colin's 21st birthday! We hope he got our package on time, and had fun giving himself a twenty-one gun salute.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

How'd I do that!!? This was posted on 10/10 at 10:10!

Anonymous said...

i think you add more info about it.

Anonymous said...

when will you go online?

Anonymous said...

sure, why not!

Anonymous said...

very cool.

Anonymous said...

well its nice to know that you have great hits here.

Bonnie said...

Anybody got any idea what happened here? I went to bed last night, got up this morning as usual and checked my blog, and wow, it's been like an international bazaar here! One of the foreign visits is from my sister on a mission in India. But all the others? Another India, several from China, one from Malaysia, Italy, Ukraine, Spain, and unfamiliar US cities too. Then look at their names ... not a flesh and blood person among them, they all run on diesel. I'm baffled, and curious to the max!

Julie said...

me too, something weird happened---the poem was very nice and the picture does show snow and doing this on 10/10 at 10:10 is amazing as are all the heavy equipment visiting!!!!

Cindy said...

We got a little snow too. Not that much though. Looks like it's going to be a cold Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Bonnie B:

I am sticking to my story of doing .1% better than people around there at important things and such. It is really the honest truth. If I seem to be bragging, well... What can I say? Take care and stay warm!

Love,

Not a big equipment dealer