Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Deep Water

I love Dr. Lisa, my primary care physician. I scheduled a visit with her last week, and she was so completely understanding and supportive that I couldn't help but feel better by the time I left. Our conversation was rife with similes or analogies.

Here's mine: I feel like this grief I'm carrying is a huge, unwieldy box. It takesall the strength I have to hang onto it and keep it balanced. When someone comes along and drops another box or two on top of it, even though they're much smaller and would ordinarily be fairly easy to carry, I can't handle the extra burden.

Here's hers: You're in a river, treading water. Even though you're trying to keep your head above it, you've grown very tired and you're just stuck there, unable to move forward.

The solution: Talk to this LDS counselor I know, and highly recommend. She shares your beliefs, and she knows about real life. And this prescription for Celexa, an antidepressant, will turn down the volume a bit on your emotions to give you abreather.

So, I'm going for it. My first appointment is next week. Whether it's the box, or the river, or both, I'm not sure, but a little objectivity is welcome. Dr.Lisa asked me if she'd been helpful, and I said yes, that she'd thrown me a rope. She said, "I like that. I threw you a rope, now S. will teach you to swim."

If all goes well, and I don't know why it wouldn't, I hope to be paddling happily about again before very long. I'll never be the same I know, I'm permanetly changed from all that's happened, Dr. Lisa warned me, but things ccan get better. Besides, I've always been a big supporter of people getting counseling when their situation becomes too confusing and troublesome. Now, it's my turn to follow my own advice.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I know you will be a strong swimmer again, you just need to work on your stroke I guess,I sure love y and pray for you to find the answers and the strength you need. It takes a lot of smarts to know when you need a little help and a lot of courage to go and seek it, I am proud of you !!!!

Liz said...

Thankyou. I think I need to follow your advice as well, poor Erin is having such a hard time and I just don't know how to help her,instead I am getting more stressed. I can't even imagine your grief, but you are helping me and my little problems. You are a wonderful women and I am lucky to call you aunt.

Bonnie said...

Julie, your vote of confidence means a lot. Thank you sooo much!
And Liz, wow, you made my week. I will be praying for happy stress-free days for you, and comfort for Erin.
Love to all three generations!

~pollyanna said...

Here is another one... your friends will gladly be the raft on which you float during times of needed respite and can help you feel the calming love of the Savior. Don't worry, you will not sink them...

Louise said...

Hooray for you Bonnie. I think you have received and accepted wonderful advice from your Doctor. I hope I would be half as smart as you are if I were in a similar situation. My mother-in-law is supposed to be on Celexa and it really helps if and when she takes it. Grrrrrrr!!!

Bonnie said...

I don't know, Polly, I've been putting on the pounds lately. But thanks for adding to the imagery.
Louise, you're so funny. I hope my daughters-in-law don't "grrrrrr" at me! ;)

Becky Noftle said...

Good girl Bonnie. We had a "situation" this school year that required the life rope thrown by a counselor. However it took three tries to find a counselor with the rope we particularly wanted to cling to. That being said I don't feel like any time with the two "trial" counselors were a waste of time and money. I mean, We don't expect to love the first pair of shoes we try--we keep looking for the exact right fit--right? Jumping from ropes to shoes might have been a confusing leap!?