Sunday, September 7, 2008

Vicissitudes

I've got music for any that come my way. Sad times? I listen to Pink Floyd's High Hopes over and over and over again...until I'm finally ready to start feeling better.


Or the new-found quiet after the storms are past? That's the right time for listening to Leona Lewis' Footprints in the Sand.


When I was in my teens, I didn't know that sunshine always followed the clouds. IfI was miserable for a time, I mistakenly thought it was my new permanent condition. Life has taught me that there is always a way up and out of the darkness, back into the light. It is my job, my quest, to rise, and once again seek for the light.

When I was about 14 or 15 years old, I was walking from a class in the main school building to the nearby gym for my PE class. Suddenly, I fell into a deep pit, and I was in over my head! I dug my fingers into the sides of the pit so that I could climb out. But the dirt crumbled away, leaving me nothing to hold onto. Yelling for help was beneath my teenage dignity. What could I do? Once I heard the ominous sound of a piece of heavy equipment coming in my direction, it required no thought at all. I didn't care about crumbling dirt anymore. The pit could fall in on itself for all it mattered to me. I just powered my way up and out of the pit, and was free! I proceeded on to class as if nothing had happened. Never even mentioned it to anyone gbut a couple of classmates.

Lookingh back, that quirky experience has meaning for me. It was an abrupt fall from safety into the unexpected and unknown. I persevered, and I came out none the worse for wear that time. Since then, I've had many sudden changes in circumstances, or vicissitudes of life. Sadly, I haven't always emerged unscathed. I have emerged though, and I guess that's enough for now. I believe that it is necessary to get knocked down in life, and that it is vital to get back up again. Jesus Christ, my Savior, has helped me stand up many times. Not as quickly as I'd like, but the help has always come, eventually, and it always will. Even when life is done here on earth, He will see to it that we rise again, just as He did. In Him, I trust. My trust, my love, my gratitude, He has all three.

12 comments:

jacksonx03 said...

What a great analogy. I love stories and experiences like that, it really does hit home gospel principles and truly is refining. You are a trooper!

Amy J.

Julie said...

Those really were "deep thoughts" and I appreciate them and marvel that I did not know that about you and the pit----I am glad you can claw your up to find the light, yes even the light of Christ when you have the need. I love you and I learn much from you and your strength.

~pollyanna said...

BEAUTIFUL... your comments go right alone with Elder Holland's CES Fireside... Listen if you get a chance... and if you haven't already.

LOVE, HUGS and PRAYERS for you and yours ~ PA

Bonnie said...

Thank you, Amy, but everyone knows you're the true trooper here. On second thought, make that a "truper." and we can all play!

Julie, "deep" thoughts, huh? See, miracles do happen. And I love you too!

Polly, I am going to read Elder H.
's talk, pronto. I saw the link on the Porch. Thank you for posting it! I do read there, I just can't post there.
Love, - Bonnie

Kathy said...

Just letting you know I'm on board. Love the blogs and looking forward to reading more. Thanks for the good visit today.

Bonnie said...

Glad to have you along, Kathy. No need to fasten your seatbelt, we're going nowhere....slooooow.

Louise said...

Actually, I think you are definitely going somewhere, and at a great speed. Look how far you've come in the past three months! Wonderful analogy Bonnie, once again I am learning from you. Thank you, Louise

Bonnie said...

I appreciate the kind sentiments, Louise. And I won't argue with you, I just know there's a lot of progress yet to be made. ;)

Cordell and McCall said...

what an amazing post! And what a great way to start my day! Thanks!! You are truly an incredible woman, one to look up to and follow!

Bonnie said...

Whew, is that you, McCall? For a minute there, I feared you were going to say hulk, instead of woman. Thanks for your kind words.

Becky Noftle said...

Bonnie one of my children needed to read that post, and did. Thanks for being an answer to prayer.

Bonnie said...

Becky, I'm so glad I found your comment. To think it helped one of your precious children makes me very grateful. Maybe some of my bumps and bruises have been worth it. ;)