Monday, September 1, 2008

Too Good to Miss

We are in the thick of the hurricane season, which doesn't really endanger us way out west, and also in the thick of the season for political campaigning, which we are enjoying to the fullest. If only the issues could be discussed, clearly and honestly, without the unnecessary hate speech that is so prevalent! Go McCain/Palin! And, go away, Gustav!

In the spirit of the times, I want to introduce you to a funny funny man, Sir Boyle Roche. Boil roach! I'm relieved that's a name, and not the title of a recipe! He was an Irish member of Parliament in the late 1700's, with a unique and memorable turn of phrase. Recently, I came across a few of his sayings that I'd copied down in Braille a couple of years ago. In a quick internet search, I turned up a few more. I don't know if his choice of words was accidental or purposeful, but they are definitely laughable.

STRANGE ANIMALS

Mr Speaker, I smell a rat; I see him forming in the air and darkening the sky; butI'll nip him in the bud..
How can I be in two places at once unless I were a bird?

HALVES AND DOUBLES

Half the lies our opponents tell about us are untrue..
I concluded from the beginning that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over.
The cup of Ireland's misery has been overflowing for centuries, and is not yet half
full..
Ireland is today overflowing with absentee landlords..
Ireland and England are like two sisters; I would have them embrace like one brother..
Every pint bottle should contain a quart.

ALL OR NOTHING

It would surely be better to give up, not only a part but, if necessary, the whole of our constitution, to preserve the remainder..
I answer in the affirmative with an emphatic “No”.
We should silence anyone who opposes the right to freedom of speech..
At present there are no such goings-on that everything is at a standstill..
Many of them were destitute of even the goods they possessed.

OF ANATOMICAL INTEREST

While I write this letter, I have a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other.
All along the untrodden paths of the future I can see the footprints of an unseen
hand.
He is the kind of opponent who would stab you in front of your face and then stab
you in the chest when your back is turned.

IT’S ABOUT TIME

The only thing to prevent what's past is to put a stop to it before it happens.
Why should we put ourselves out of our way to do anything for posterity? For what
has posterity ever done for us?
The progress of the times...[is]...such that little children, who can neither walk nor talk, may be seen cursing their Maker!

OTHER IMPOSSIBILITIES)

in a letter) P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; thereforeI beg you to write and let me know.
Sir, I would anchor a frigate off each bank of the river, with strict orders not to stir; and so, by cruising up and down, put a stop to smuggling.

AND THIS ONE ALMOST MAKES SENSE

I told you to make one longer than the other, and instead you have made one shorter
than the other.

And now we know Sir Boyle Roach a little better~! We also had the pleasure of getting to know another Washburn cousin, Janet from Batesville, IN, a little better.. She is BYUI-bound, and is staying with a friend nearby for a few days. We had a lovely visit with her, and everybody but Dan went on a little walk through the neighborhood together.

Shooting a few hoops.

Jack proudly drives Janet back to her friend's.

6 comments:

jacksonx03 said...

It's good to see Jack again!

Amy J.

Cindy said...

They give Bush a hard time!? Bush has nothing on this guy! And tell Jack hello. It's nice to see today's youth staying active.

Anonymous said...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... Great article madame matriarch! Let the good times roll.

Love,

Washington

Bonnie said...

Jack sends his regards to you, Amy and Cindy. As for you, anonymous, one good article deserves another. The one you pointed me to on Solzhenitsyn's warnings is spot on.

Unknown said...

What a cute person this Sir Roach must have been, and how many hands did he have.... while i write I hold a piston in one hand and a sword in another.... definately one of my 5 people to meet in heaven. Jack still looks quite refreshed even after entertaining the youth and driving them around, glad he takes such an interest in the whole family. This is the thick time of year, weather and politics consume the airwaves. Stop, leave some air for the rest of us who enjoy the cool breeze but not the blown over trees. Take care, love ya, Jenny

Bonnie said...

Hey, Jenny! First time I've seen you in these parts! Welcome, and come again!