Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rich

We never forget some of the funny things our little ones say, even lo these many years later, and it's always a welcome surprise when something we're doing or thinking in the here and now triggers one of those precious memories. When Greg was about three and a half years old, around this same time of year, I remember him asking me if spring was just around the corner. I said that it was getting closer, but not quite that close yet. He wondered, then, if "it might be around three corners ."

This morning, feeling grateful to have happily emerged from a difficult few days, I smiled to myself at a memory of Jordan from when he was about four years old. When we got home from visiting teaching a lady who' had kindly shown us her doll collection, he thoughtfully observed, "Connie is rich in dolls." I have a couple of Chinese dolls Brianna brought back from China, and a southern belle Barbie doll Dan gave me one year for Christmas, and four recently acquired fairy dolls. So, I'm Not exactly rich in dolls, like Connie was, nor do I aspire to be, but I am aware that I am wildly, fabulously rich in blessings and in truth. In my own humble home, I have felt the very power and spirit of God, the ruler of heaven and of earth. I have personally felt the unmistakable effects of Jesus Christ's atonement. Through it, my bruised and broken heart is being made whole. Fear, hurt, anger, despair, they've each been removed when I put my trust in Himm. Nothing tastes, looks, sounds, feels, or is anywhere near as valuable to me as the everlastingly true gospel of Jesus Christ. I will accept no counterfeits.

4 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

Yep indeedy to all you said. It amazes me that broken and bruised hearts can be fixed---I know they can. But I wonder can you be 100% happy in this life again??

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Let me try that again. I made a typo I couldn't fix.
Becky, sweetie, is anyone really 100% happy 100% of the time in this life? If so, it can't last...not here on this earth with all its tests and trials. And it was never meant to.
But hope for a future of never-ever-ending happiness grows sweeter and stronger by the year. I'm happy today because I get to stick around longer and I hope I can still bring a few blessings to my family and others. But I am going to be so happy someday! And that's pretty awesome to contemplate too!

Louise said...

Amen Bonnie, thank you...