Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Carry Through"

Humility coupled with meekness, or teachableness, is not as common as it ought to be. When we received the following letter from Shane in the MTC, I clearly recognized both these qualities in him, and my heart melted like a marshmallow over an open flame. At the young age of 19, he wants to heed the voice of the Holy Spirit. Music to a mother's ears indeed.

Before going to the RC (referral center), he got a feeling that he should bring his study journal, so he did. "I usually don't bring that, I bring the scriptures and PMG (Preach My Gospel). While I was there, I felt that someone was going to ask a question that I could answer with some notes I had taken, so I opened my little study journal and found some I'd taken awhile ago. The scripture I saw there was Ezekiel 37: 19-22, which is about the stick of Judah and the stick of Ephraim, which basically means the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Then my companion got on the phone with someone, and I thought, "Hey, I should take that call instead of Elder Glover." Then I thought, "No, that's his call, he wouldn't like it if I took his call from him." So I carried on with my business.
"No one I called after that answered, and it just so happened that when Elder Glover got off the phone he said that the guy he had talked to had told him he would not read the Book of Mormon because it was not the word of God, that Revelation was the last book in the Bible, that no more word could be added on, and the Bible was the only word of God. I had the answers to all those questions or comments in my mind, and right in front of me in the scriptures. Elder Glover hadn't known how to answer. I could have said Revelation wasn't the last book in the Bible chronologically, that the verse about not adding on meant that men couldn't add on, but God could if He wanted to, that there was a prophecy that foretold of the separation of two books of scripture that would be united, that Lehi and Nephi were descendants of Ephraim, and that they began the record now known as the Book of Mormon. I know that when we receive promptings of the Spirit we need to carry through with them all through every step. If we falter part way through, we don't fulfill our duty. I prepared to help that guy, but I didn't carry through, and he didn't get what he needed."

He's so right. Carry through just became my new motto. Two small words that can make a big difference.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I was just having a conversation with my mother in law and she let fear get in the way of carrying through. I shared this story with her. I think fear of man gets in our way much to often.

Bonnie said...

Cool, Liz, I'll have to tell Shane about that. He's teaching in ID and UT as well as in NY. :)