Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Empty Sea



Kimball was the first of Shane's brothers to enter the MTC, when Shane was only four years old. He was with us during all six trips to the MTC with each boy in turn. I think it was three years ago, when we took Colin down to begin his mission, that Shane told us that he always thought we were going to the empty sea on the earlier trips when he heard us mention the MTC. That's where he is tonight, safe and sound, ready to go forth and serve, he's in the MTC. He's the last of our missionary sons, but the first one to depart from his own hometown. As of last June, families no longer go inside the MTC with the new arrivals. Since the church will pay for airfare to SLC, we said our goodbyes at the Boise airport rather than making the ten- to twelve-hour round trip drive to Provo. His good friend, Stewart Wayment, greeted him there, and then drove down to Provo where they picked up another friend, Evan Darrington,, to have lunch together at the BYU Creamery.

Privileged is the best word to describe how I've felt during these last few weeks with Shane. I was with him yesterday when he received a beautiful patriarchal blessing from our new stake patriarch, Brother Buhler. Shane told me that for the first time, he felt that God knew him as an individual, not just as one of the group of His many many children. When that realization sinks into your heart, that you really are known and loved by the Lord, the love of God can really burst into full bloom, bringing about amazing growth and enlightenment! I remember when it happened to me. I suddenly felt God's love for me, an obscure and ordinary person. And I knew since He loved me no matter who I was, or wasn't, I wasn't really just obscure and ordinary at all, and that He loved ALL of His children. I also knew that if He loved everyone else, so should I! I began to sense that each individual is precious. I believe that I witnessed Shane coming to this understanding in recent weeks as well.
Remarkably, gratefully, the channel of revelation from the Lord we'd felt earlier in the day, remained opened as President Porter set Shane apart as a missionary in the New York New York South Mission later that evening. After so many evidences of friendship and concernfrom our ward and others, Shane told me that he never realized that so many people cared about him. I wish everyone could feel that way, but it may be that many have not yet felt it, maybe because it has not yet been adequately shown to them. I hope I can begin to help them know it by the way I speak to and treat them though.

A hearty thank you to Ethan and Missy for coming to Shane's farewell. We thoroughly enjoyed your visit. His talk alone was worth the drive, wasn't it? Thanks to his friends for coming, too. Thanks to each of you, Cindy, Karen, Phil, and Kirt, for the temple trips. Shane was able to go there about 8 times over the last three and a half weeks to bless and serve in sealings, baptisms, endowments, and initiatories. He even went one time on his own. As I said, thanks to the influence of the Spirit, and of many good and caring people, and to Shane's own righteous choices and desires, he is prepared to serve the Lord, nowe and forever. May it ever be thus, is my humble and ongoing prayer for him, and for all of our sons and their families.






11 comments:

Julie said...

Oh dear Bonnie, this was so sweet and tender it brought tears to my eyes, Shane is loved by many and what a sweet testimony of our Fathers love for each of us !!!! I am so proud in his dilignece in serving in the Temple so much in his short time before leaving , he is a young man prepared !!!!!! Looks like you had a wonderful family event and are a well loved G'ma.

Liz said...

THe empty sea is sure a great place for him to be going. Thanks for your testimoney it was beautiful.

Bonnie said...

Julie, you're right, it was a wonderful time, with lots of memories to be treasured, that's for sure.

Bonnie said...

Hi there Liz! Thanks so much for your kind words.

jacksonx03 said...

Great post, oozing with warm fuzzies! Best wishes to you and Shane!

Bonnie said...

Warm fuzzies, why that's even better than chocolate! :)

Anonymous said...

I know that Shane is going to go to New York and kick some spiritual butt. His motto will be," I'm busting mine to baptize yours".

Bonnie said...

Haha, was that your motto, Kimball? Sounds stressful! Maybe Shane'll come up with something else more in keeping with his personality. ;)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing with us; we have been keeping the family in mind due to this wonderful event. Yes, it is awesome when we realize God knows us as an individual! Happy to know of his temple emphasis. We are looking forward to a temple experience soon as we have missed it. You have a wonderful family and we are happy for you.
Love! Becky and Ray

Bonnie said...

Thank you, Becky and Ray. I'm so happy you'll be coming home soon! You'll keep the temple lights burning, I know.

~pollyanna said...

I have been so busy I have not checked for blog for a few weeks and almost missed the wonder of these pictures...

My heart sang even while a tiny tear dropped in joyful thought of that "empty sea"... In a few months it will be 30 years since I was there... it's been over 4 years since Son1 was there preparing for his own Spanish speaking mission... it appears it will be many more until we have someone else from our family there...

So, thanks for sharing Shane's faithfulness, and your pictures with your loved ones and far away friends... It is a spiritual lift I needed...