Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Who Loves Hummus?

I do. And I made it for the first time last night! It'd been on my want-to-make list for some time, but I'd been unable to locate one of its key ingredients, tahini, so my desire was cruelly thwarted. As Brianna and I meandered our way along the bulk bin aisle of Fred Meyers last Saturday evening, we chanced upon the tahini that had eluded me for so long, and thus it was that my dream became a reality. Next on my wannt-to-make list is baba ghanoush. With both eggplant and tahini on hand, I have everything I need to make that as well, and will do so in a few days. For the life of me, I can't make a decent pie crust, or pipe decorative swirls of anything onto anything, but as long as I can make the things I crave, I consider myself astonishingly accomplished in the kitchen. I have a teeny suspicion that I may be the only one, however, who holds that view..

My friend, JoLyn, is reading an excellent book most mornings over the phone to me, Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. It's jampacked with really essential information on nutrition, and how our food choices impact our health for good or ill. I wish I'd known this stuff decades ago! But much of the interplay between nutrients and anti-nutrients and their effects upon the body weren't even known then. It is an eye-opening mind expanding read for sure.

I still slack off sometimes and give way to temptation like, say, Papa Murphy's though. I thought I was too tired to cook last night, before I had a nap and regained enough energy to make the hummus, so I asked Shane to bring home a pizza. When the girl at the counter called out his order and he went up to retrieve it, she said something to him that he didn't quite understand. So he replied with, "ok." She said something else that he missed, and he answered, "All right." Next she said, "What's wrong?" He said, "I don't know," and quickly left. Hearing him relate this confusing conversation made us all burst into laughter. He told us, though, that it's random experiences like this that sometimes make him wonder what kind of missionary he'll be. We all think he'll be a fine missionary, but we also assured him that it was ok to ask people to repeat what they've said if you don't understand them. What a cutie he is. Sharing his thoughts and concerns with us makes him all the more endearing. It's harder to feel close to those who hide their thoughts and feelings. It's sad, too, when you begin to get the impression that you no longer truly know your own loved ones. Is it really so difficult to be open and transparent with others? I know it is possible to do that, and yet to still keep your own personal matters private. Some prefer walls. I favor less rigid boundaries.
-1 pound this week

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I love hummus! I've tried to make it and have failed miserably. So I buy the tub from Costco when I get my craving.

jacksonx03 said...

We seem to be of the same mind this week! What did you eat your hummus with? I love garlic naan with hummus.

Bonnie said...

Amy, we had pita chips and carrots, and ate it just plain too. It's so good that I like it plain. I'll have to look up garlic naan, don't know what that is. Your mom said we're both doing sprouts too! ;) Well, I haven't done them yet this fall, but I'm shopping for the best sprouter for me and the seeds.