Monday, August 18, 2008

It's Always Fun When Grandkids Come

Ethan and Misy and girls arrived the same day we returned home from our little campout.I'm glad they've visited enough to know how to settle in, kic back, and make themselves at home,, because I was pretty tired from not-sleeping on the ground, and very preoccupied with putting the finishing touches on the RS lesson I'd be teaching the next morning.Thankfully, the lesson on doing our part to purify ourselves for the building up of Zion went well, and thanks to Brianna, there was a tasty meal of sweet and sour chicken just about ready for us when we got home.

The highlights of the visit for me were having Brooklyn and Lilly close at hand, watching them so that Ethan and Missy could go to the temple together, then getting up early the next morning and going to the temple with Missy while everyone was still sleeping, and later, spending some very quiet and special moments remembering and speaking of Jordan, also praying, in the cemetery with Ethan. Our hearts are still so tender as we think of him, and I don't expect that to ever change. I know it would be the same way if we had to say goodbye for awhile to any one of our precious sons. So please, Father in heaven, let me go first, years and years before anyone else is called home!

Oh, and sure we like doughnuts, but don't get the wrong-headed idea that they were one of the highlights. They're a mere morsel of sweetness, entirely insignificant.Upon further reflection however, it's looking like our family may be genetically predisposed to a fondness for the Krispy Kreme franchise. Kaden, in AZ, was the first to unabashedly display this interest, and now it's spread to Brooklyn and Lilly.Where will it end? I know not, I only know that in honor of the airy rings of gold, I found one of my favorite childhood songs today. Quite fittingly, it's called "The Doughnut Song." Everybody, please feel free to whistle, sing, or dance along with the music, glazed with a sweet little moral all its own.


(Note to my siblings: Yes, I did take the record that had this and other Burl Ives songs on it, and yes, I did lose said recording. I am so so sorry!)

3 comments:

jacksonx03 said...

Sounds like you had a good week! Hope you're rested up from all of the activity.

Amy J.

Julie said...

OH so now we know !!!! Another family mystery solved. I sure enjoyed hearing his voice, it really brought back a lot of memories!!!! Glad you had a great week, camping, family visiting, the Temple, great food, loving grandchildren, quiet reflection, hmmm I think you covered everything!!!!
Loveya,
JB
PS, we made the strawberry butter, but with raspberry jam, super yummy --thank you for the recipe!

These Are The Days said...

I hope Aunt Becky doesn't catch wind of the Krispy Kreme indulgence!