Monday, April 26, 2010

Wayne Dyer Is Wrong About CLL

I just paid a visit to the CLL Christian Friends site I belong to, and Randy, a fellow CLLer, posted the following comment today. He found it in Parade magazine.
Dr. Wayne Dyer's Diagnosis
Q How is motivational guru Dr. Wayne Dyer doing since being diagnosed with cancer?--Joe De Laigle, Newport News, Va.
A "I don't think of it as cancer," Dyer, 69, says. "It's chronic lymphocytic leukemia, not life-threatening, and it's been a great blessing in my life. We're all infinite spiritual beings having a temporary human experience. Find that within yourself."
What an idiot.
*end of Randy's post*

I know that there are indolent forms of CLL, ones that never progress to become symptomatic. But I saw my own father and brother lose their lives to CLL, as well as many of my CLL friends on the aforementioned forum. So while I hope Mr. Dyer's CLL remains inactive, I know that not everyone is so fortunate. That is all.
Note: For up-to-date, accurate information on CLL, visit
http://clltopics.org/index.php

10 comments:

Louise said...

So true Bonnie! I didn't realize your Father and brother had CLL also, is that unusual for 3 immediate family members to have this disease?

Bonnie said...

Yes, it's unusual, Louise, but not so much that it isn't under investigation. BTW, my GRandma, my Dad's mom, was also dxed with CLL. About 5% of the CLL cases are familial.
http://cll.acor.org/CLL%20in%20the%20family.htm

Elaine said...

Indeed, that is why we are here at the Hutch - saving a life from CLL.

Bonnie said...

Many prayers for a successful SCT for Terry, and for his wonderful caregiver, too!

Becky Noftle said...

Do you have to be soooo close to your family Bonnie?! Seems a little distance as far as the CLL would have been fine! Glad you and Terry are feeling better.

Bonnie said...

I'd like to work out a deal with Heavenly Father so that by my having CLL, none of our sons or their children will have it!

Shirley said...

He was so very callous with his remarks it made me furious. Not life threatening, are you kidding me! I was diagnosed at 41 and 10 years later am finally going for a transplant so that I do not die. I have spent numerous birthdays in the hospital for infections out of control as this disease continues to wreak havoc and cause one after the other new autoimmune diseases. I have all the poor prognostic markers giving me the more aggressive kind to deal with. Chemo is not holding me long before I am back where I was. But to hear him nonchalontly say he didn't think of it as cancer and it was not life threatening - he was way off base and obviously had not done enough research. CLL is a tough disease and you live with until you die or if you are fortunate enough to be cured by transplant with no lasting complications, you are most fortunate. I would like to find that within himself - after he has spend some time in the chemo chairs with the rest of us - perhaps he can come back and let us know how he really feels. I am sorry he is sick, I would wish it on noone, however to callously talk about it as if it were nothing - infuriates me!

Bonnie said...

You are so right, Shirley. When I was first diagnosed, people would tell me CLL wasn't anything to worry about too.. They had a neighbor with it, and she did fine, so of course I would also do fine. Not so! Every case is different. I'm sorry that your battle has been more taxing than my own. My friend just underwent a SCT in Seattle for CLL and seems to be progressing very well. You are courageous in my book Shirley, and I wish you well!

Shirley said...

Thanks Bonnie!

Bonnie said...

This comment arrived in my inbox early this morning. I don't know why it doesn't show up here.
Anonymous has left a new comment on the post "
Wayne Dyer Is Wrong About CLL
":
I'm always motivated by you, your views and attitude, again, thanks for this nice post.
- Norman
Thanks, Norman. Kind of you to say so.