Friday, July 31, 2009

Easy, Breezy, and Fun!


We're back from our jaunt to Utah, and I'm delighted to say that none of my fears were realized, but all of my hopes were.! Staying with my sister Julie and family is always a treat for us (maybe not for them), but they somehow give the distinct impression that they like us as much as we like (love) them. Thank you, you big, beautiful Baird family! I want the recipe for Julie's zucchini soup, which tasted like potato soup, deftly hiding the macerated zucchini within its rich and creamy depths. We got to meet the newest addition to their family, little Zonie Rebecca Jackson, too! Born on July 19th, and named after her great great grandmother, she is amazingly strong, one of the features by which her honored ancestor is remembered. Baby Zonie's head and back didn't seem to need the support one would expect of a neonate, and her little feet felt ready to carry her through the active lifestyle of running, hiking, and biking that her parents pursue. Julie and I found time for a little shopping, and we topped it all off by a French toast breakfast prepared by Seth this morning, and enjoyed while listening to the happy bluegrass banjo-picking sounds of Yonder Mountains String Band. Lonnie continues to take his chemo kickin' and keep on tickin'! On chemo weeks, he tires quickly, but rises early and goes to work as usual. With just one more round of chemo to go, we pray for his platelets to rebound and for the cancer to disappear forever!

Well, I knew that part of the trip would be great, but I was worried about how the rest of it would go. It went swimmingly! Kimball came up with the idea of having Dan and me ride down to Fish Lake, about a three-hour drive, with his family, and what a golden opportunity to get better acquainted with Jaxon, Kade, and Sophia that turned out to be! The boys regaled us with story and song, with two-and-a-half-year-old Sophia joining in on her favorite parts. They are so very relaxed and well-behaved, knowledgeable, and just plain fun to be with. Our niece Christine, Kimball's first cousin, and the children's first cousin once removed, took some pictures that I can hardly wait to receive and share here. She's still vacationing in Utah though, and won't be back home to Texas for a few days, so it may be awhile before the pictures find their way to me.

The reunion itself was inspiring. It has ignited the idea of holding a Tyrus Washburn gathering next year, possibly at a park in Provo or Monroe. This reunion was for the descendants of Jesse and Christiane Olsen Washburn, but their son, Dan's dad, Tyrus's posterity made up over half of those in attendance. I think Tyrus had eight siblings, and one of them was even present, his 95-year-old brother Clayton, and his wife Lenny. (I'm just guessing at the spelling of Lenny's name.) Dan's brother Alan's family reunion was being held in conjunction with Jesse's, and consequently, they had a great turnout. We were happy to be able to visit with five out of Alan and Linda's nine children. Jonathan batted around the idea of the Ty Washburn reunion; Kaye busily solicited contributions to a Ty and Miriam Washburn family history book; little great nieces passed around their own books for collecting their relatives' autographs; major water fights were waged; Cindy's new little one, Graham, was introduced; conversation, hugs and laughter were shared. I am so glad I didn't listen to my worries as I've sometimes done in the past, and that Dan and I made the sacrifice to be a part of it all. For those unable to attend, we love you bunches, and hope to see you next time!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I am so sad that i didn't get to talk to you at the reunion. At least you were able to meet Graham. What a fun day it was to catch up with all that family! I love the idea of a Tyrus Washburn reunion!

Bonnie said...

Well who was that I was talking to when I thought it was you? ;) Graham was such a sweetie! Looking forward to next year!

These Are The Days said...

Too bad we didn't know people were getting cabins, we could have stayed the night and had that be our last stop before we went back home. It worked out good though w/ you all driving together, I'm sure once you got to the reunion it was harder to visit w/ the kids. They had a good time (a little cold) but loved seeing you. The frogs were a big hit w/ Sophia. She serves them in her tea parties and I've had to break up a few cat fights between her and her friends. They all want to play w/ the frogs. Thanks for making it fun for them.