Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Baby, New Calling, and New Puzzlement


Announcing the birth of our new little grandson, Zaid Andrews Washburn! You can see pics at Ethan's and Missy's blog! Welcome to the world, little Zaid. We now have five granddaughters and four grandsons, each a treasured part of the world of Washburns. We are blessed, and pray that we can be a blessing to each of them too!

Shane was ordained to the office of an elder in the Melchizedek priesthood by Colin on July 12th. I could tell that he was feeling a little uncertain about where he fit in in the ward since his graduation. Now he knows where he belongs, for the time being. I'm so happy that our wonderful ward leaders extended a call to him, seting him apart as a priest quorum adviser last Sunday!

I've been trying to solve a mystery of the Washburn family since we returned from last week's reunion. Why did Dan's great Grandfather Parley Pratt Washburn's family leave the church? It seems to have caused problems for succeeding generations, which really is no surprise, is it? As I've found snippets of information here and there on the web, I've felt such a love for them, and a desire to help turn the tide back to the way of his father, Abraham. But then I find myself thinking that if faithful Abraham and Flora Clarinda's own son somehow decided to become a dissenter from the church, is it any wonder that my own family faces similar struggles, or that prayer and study are needed now more than ever?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a lot of wonderful events !!!!!!! Zaid is adorable !!!! by the way so is Shane !!!

jb

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the visit, my dear and trusty sister! And you are right on both counts!

Louise said...

Hello good friend! Sorry for my absence as of late. Its been a beautiful summer, busy with kids and grandkids. We welcomed our 18th grandchild two weeks ago (9 girls, 9 boys) and enjoyed his sweet spirit with a visit to California to welcome him. Congrats to Ethan and Missy. Zaid is a lucky boy to be born into the Washburn family. As I have researched our family tree I have also been puzzled by those who have chosen to live their lives away from the church and its teachings. I have plenty in my family. I can't imagine trying to navigate through this earthly existence without it.

Bonnie said...

Hi, Louise! Congrats on the new grandson. My reading continues, and I feel I'm learning something about faith and or the lack of it. More about that later. But thank you for dropping by, my friend.