Thursday, June 4, 2009

Glad to Be a Grad

It's graduation week. Shane graduated from seminary on Sunday, May 31st, giving a talk while he was at it. Just yesterday, June 3rd, he graduated from Borah High School. When the nice customer service rep asked me what I wanted written on the card that went along with the festive edible arrangement I was ordering for him, I surprised myself (and probably her too) by starting to cry. This is the beginning of a whole new chapter for Shane, but it is the end of an era for Dan and me. As we walked into the Taco Bell Arena for the commencement exercises, Dan said, "We should stop saying this is the last time for this or that, and look ahead to the future, and say instead, we get to start doing this or that." That rates as good advice from a good guy in my book.

And now, it gives me great pleasure to present our beloved graduate from the Class of 2009 to you. Please join us in smiling upon the quiet, the stalwart, the absolutely delightful, Shane Joseph Washburn.

10 comments:

~pollyanna said...

Congratulations Shane!!! Onward and upward Dan and Bonnie!!! I know a little of what you are feeling... Jordan leaves for boot camp in one month... I THINK I am ready for it...?

Bonnie said...

Thanks, Polly. Yes, I guess change always takes a little revamping of plans and attitudes. But we are tough, you and I, an we can do it!

Julie said...

Hip Hip Hooray for the wonderful guy in green , he lights up as brighter than the "Green Lantern" but does much more good in the world !!!! He is "Super 'S' Washuburn !!!!!!!! Another door has opened , smile adn enjoy yourself adn occasionally with his antics you may have top brace yourself but he has been nothing but an honorbale son so he will probably contiue on that course yes that dear Dad gave great advice, maybe you ought to call the Edible fruit flowers lady back and tell her you are okay and make her day !!!!!!! Sure love ya and glad it has been a great week !!!!!

Louise said...

Yummm, that edible arrangement looks, well, very edible! Congratulations to Shane, and to Bonnie and Dan as you embark on a new adventure in your lives!

Bonnie said...

Haha, Julie, I'll have to tell Shane about the Green Lantern.
Louise, yes, the fruit arrangement was a hit! Rather an expensive indulgence, but worth it just this once. ;)

Anonymous said...

Bonnie....my beautiful friend...I've just stumbled onto your blogs and am so saddened by Jordan's passing and the trials you have endured. But what a handsome son you just graduated! Oh my...Cami says she'll marry him!! And my daughter Kayla is living in Boise right now...I need to send her over to see you!! Hugs to you my friend!

Bonnie said...

Hi there, Laura! What a nice surprise that you looked us up and found us! We'd love to see Kayla. I still laugh over our wild and woolly VTing days together.

Anonymous said...

Shane you done got yerself edumicated. You are the first washburn to graduate from High School. You done good boy. Some one told me there is even more schooling a guy can get if he wants. You should do that.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Shane! Another great accomplishment for a wonderful son, with many more in the future, we have no doubt. Wish we were there to help eat that fruit bouquet! and that cake looked tasty too. Opportunities ahead for son and parents. Keep smiling and know that you all are loved.
Becky and Ray

Bonnie said...

Ha, I just found the last two comments, and I'm betting the unsigned one was from the very educated Ethan! Thanks for dropping by, our dear eldest son. Thank you too, Becky and Ray! We are looking forward to your arrival back in the U.S.A.