Monday, June 22, 2009

Sweet Stuff

We've had out-of-town guests on three different occasions this month, and without fail, they've all commented on the moss roses Dan planted for me under the maple tree in our front yard. He did it of his own accord for Mother's Day, while not feeling at all well. I think it may be the best gift he's ever given me, because (1) it was a complete surprise; (2) it's something I really really like; (3) I had never thought of doing it; and (4) moss roses were one of the favorites of his mom, who was a fantastic gardener. The fact that he did it when he was sick, not waiting till he felt better, just makes it that much sweeter. They haven't exactly flourished with all the rain we've had this spring, but we have high hopes for them yet.



We enjoyed Dan's sister Janet's visit a week and a half ago. She filled us in on some of the exciting Utah Washburn news. Some examples: we have a new little nephew we're eager to hear more about from Cindy! Daniel bought a cozy little home, and Cliff and Bugs have acquired a trendy new business. Next, our second guests were Rick and JoLyn Farrer, with two of their grandsons, Ashton and Isaac. JoLyn has this magical way of getting the most out of every minute she's here, so that a short visit seems longer than it was in actuality. Colin entertained the boys, who were weary from a six-hour drive, while we went to the cemetery. I feel a little closer to Jordan when I'm there, and the Farrers share my feelings of sacred reverence for these places which have been the site of great outpourings of emotion, and, at a future time, will be glorious places of joyous reunion. Afterward, JoLyn and I made a mad dash, my first, to the awesome sporting goods store, Cabela's. I only call it a mad dash because we hurried in just 30 minutes before closing time, and 30 minutes in such an enormous and interesting place is not nearly long enough. But it was long enough for me to part with $82, buying the first ever peach rings I've had, some watermelon licorice, and a Father's Day gift for Dan, a two-burner propane camp stove combo, meaning a propane lantern was included. Our last guest of the month is our son, Ethan, who's here doing his penultimate rotation in his quest to become a physician's assistant and graduate from the program in August. It's a pretty sweet deal to have such wonderful guests visiting.



I am so grateful for Neil and Penny, too, who invited Greg and his three little ones, Tori, Juli, and Christian, over to their home for a lovely pot roast Sunday/Father's Day dinner. It looks like Penny even let them decorate the cake for their Daddy. Dan and I are so very happy to see the brothers and their families showing kindness to one another, caring for and strengthening each other in a multitude of ways. They've got the brotherly love thing down pat! Suh-weet!

2 comments:

~pollyanna said...

fun happenings... I so enjoy being able to keep up with your family here...

I have decided that blogs are a beautiful gift of communication!

Bonnie said...

Yes, Polly, they certainly can be, and mine is definitely intended to be just that.