Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Best Gifts of 2008


There are so many! I think I might just burst if I don't write them down tonight before 2008 gives way to 2009.

1. The generosity and kindness of friends, family, and strangers. Not only were medical and other expenses met through their combined efforts, but physical, spiritual, and emotional needs were met as well. We weren't left financially in debt, but we owe a huge amount of gratitude to so many wonderful, wonderful people.

2. The miraculous cure of a broken heart. It wasn't just broken, it was shattered, crumpled, kicked, stomped upon, folded, spindled, and mutilated beyond recognition! Thanks to the grace, mercy, and love of God, it is whole again. The final piece slid into place just this week, on Monday, the 29th, as I spoke with my counselor for the last time for the forseeable future. She helped me understand forgiveness in a new and profound way. Trust God, that is the answer to everything. For grief, trust God. For worries and fears, trust God. For unjust condemnation, trust God. He can, and He will, make all things right in His own way and time.

3. A heart and conscience at peace. In Acts 24 : 16, Paul wrote: "And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men." That favorite website of mine, http://www.gospeldoctrine.com, supplied this commentary:

Joseph B. Wirthllin
We see an example of individual peace amidst strife and contention in the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Near the end of his life, he was at the center of a whirlwind of turmoil and tribulation caused by devious associates, false accusations, and cunning plots against his life. Yet a few days before his death, he said, ‘I am calm as a summer’s morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men.’ (D&C 135:4.) His inner peace sustained him through monumental adversities, even his own martyrdom.” (“Peace Within,” Ensign, May 1991, 36)

Lorenzo Snow
“Are we seeking to purify ourselves? How can a Latter-day Saint feel justified in himself unless he is seeking to purify himself even as God is pure —unless he is seeking to keep his conscience void of offense before God and man (see D&C 135:4) every day of his life. Many of us, walk from day to day and from week to week, and from month to month, before God, feeling under no condemnation, conducting ourselves properly, and seeking earnestly and in all meekness for the Spirit of God to dictate our daily course; and yet there may be a certain time or times in our life, when we are greatly tried and perhaps overcome; even if this be so, that is no reason why we should not try again, and that, too, with redoubled energy and determination to accomplish our object.” (“Blessings of the Gospel Only Obtained by Compliance of the Law,”Tambuli, Feb. 1979, 37)

So, even though it is true that I went through a period of darkness this year, a time when my faith flickered and wavered in the winds of adversity, I can gratefully say that it did not go out! It is strong and bright, warming and comforting me even though I know more danger lies ahead.

4. My testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it is true. I know a testimony is available to anyone who seeks with a willing mind and a humble heart for as long as it takes. I believe in prophets, ancient and modern, Adam, Enoch, Moses, Abraham, Noah, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Lorenzo Snow, Thomas S. Monson, to name but a few.

Good, now I won't burst! Happy New Year, everyone, or, at least, may your new year be as safe as possible, and tight like unto a dish.

7 comments:

Shanna said...

Happy New Year to you! I hope that this year has many bright spots for you and your family!

Bonnie said...

Same to you, Shanna, and stop the party and get some sleep! :)

~pollyanna said...

Reading your list I had to keep blinking to see through my tears of joy, especially that you feel whole again... What a wonderful gift... You have been constantly in my prayers and while that will not change... the focus can be allowed to drift at least... for that reason my gratitude is a healing gift to me, from Father, though you.

Happy New Year, dear sweet friend!

Cindy said...

I am so happy for you. What a wonderful blessing it is to have the gospel! Thank you for the reminder!

Bonnie said...

Thank you, sweet Polly and Cindy.
I think maybe I should clarify that my testimony of the gospel of Christ isn't new (I've had it for a long time), but it is bigger and tougher than before.

Julie said...

A very Happy New Year to you !!! and all of those you love, you are amazing in so many ways to me, thank you for helping all of us learn and grow with you,, but you are ahead by leaps and bounds !!!!!

Bonnie said...

Am not. But it is good not to be stuck in a dank, dark place anymore. I'm freeeeee! I learn great things from you, and others, all the time!