Friday, December 2, 2011

On This Date, and CLL

Dec. 2nd is always a day of remembrance for me. Four years ago, when the day started, I was on top of the world. By day's end though, a change had blown in like a hurricane. Jordan called from China that evening with the news that something was very wrong. He had fainted while teaching his English class, and Brianna had made him go to the doctor. There they had learned that all of his blood counts were dangerously low. I asked him to read his CBC to me. So he got a copy of it, and called me back. When I heard it, my heart was immediately seized with great fear. So began the saddest chapter of our lives. Interestingly, some are closer to the Lord now as a result of Jordan's ordeal, and others seem about the same as before.

I thought I might as well report on my own CLL saga today, too, sort of lumping all the health-related topics together in one post. First, a brief history. My younger brother, Jim, my dad, and my Grandma Jennie all had CLL before me. But inexplicably, it never even occurred to me that I might have it as well, even when I became symptomatic.. I guess that's called either denial, or stupidity. In my defense, I didn't really know much about CLL because I didn't have computer access when my loved ones were dealing with itt, and it wasn't uppermost in my mind when I finally gained a few computer skills. In June of 2004, I had a case of strep throat, and my cervical lymph nodes became quite enlarged. The strep didn't respond to the first course of antibiotics, so I had another round of a second kind. But even when I was well again, the lymph nodes remained swollen. In Feb. of 2005, I sought medical help in overcoming a realy bad cold, which turned out to be pneumonia.. A smart PA asked me if I had a family history of any bad diseases. I answered, "Yes, CLL." He asked me to follow up with Dr. Lisa. She did a few blood tests, and called me on Valentine's Day with the great news that I only had mononucleosis. Much better than CLL! Over the next few months, I felt better, but now the axillary lymph nodes were enlarging, too. What could it mean? Another horrible cold sent me scurrying back to the doc in Feb. of 2006. This time, one test led to another, and I was officially and correctly diagnosed with CLL AKA chronic lymphocytic leukemia, which I'm certain had been there all along, not mono. I was able to avoid treatment until March through August of 2007. I chose PCR, Pentostatin, Cytoxan, and Rituxan. After treatment the lymph nodes were no longer palpable, and I felt grrrreat! .... until I had a bone marrow biopsy and learned that I still had 30% atypical infiltrates in my bone marrow. Still, I was better, and that was very good. Sept., Oct., Nov., wonderful months! Dec. 2nd, sad.

Over the past year, my white blood cell count has been steadily climbing, and both cervical and axillary (neck and armpit) lymph nodes are bulking up once again, my fatigue level is greater, and I know treatment is right around the corner for me. I'm not sure what it will be this time, but I have begun reading up on the options in an effort to be prepared to make informed decisions. Not my favorite reading material, but necessary nonetheless.
Note: I apologize if the format of this post, or any other one, is messed up. I hope it's decipherable.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you dear sweet Bonnie B., what a journey ... what a journey... it is a hard one but you are traveling it with faith and grace!