Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Christmas Story from Rebecca

The following is by my friend, Rebecca. Can you tell that she's special?

A while back, someone asked a question about knitting for a Halloween project. I had just gotten interested in knitting and had gotten excited about learning how to knit socks. Since my hands aren't that dextrous at this point, I got some thick, chunky yarn and made a pair of socks. Well, I had my knitting in my bag that I took to school, and one of my students saw it and asked about it. I told him I had learned to knit socks (more like slippers, but whatever) and showed them the one sock I had completed. Surprisingly, these 13-15 year old boys and girls were fascinated and asked if I could make them some socks. That would be about a dozen pairs, so I hemmed and hawed and finally said maybe for Christmas, but I wasn't guaranteeing anything. I guess the Lord really wanted it to happen, because I managed to whip up socks all over the place while watching TV, sitting around feeling yucky from chemo, etc. Can't do much active work, but I found I could make a bunch of stupid socks! Well, on Monday I was at school for a half-day and then am out the rest of the week,so I brought them in to my kids. I was amazed at the whole thing. Every one of them hugged me (even the big, tough older boys), thanked me, and had to put them on. One kid who is extremely withdrawn and angry actually sort of hugged me (he did the "leaning thing") and asked how I knew that blue was his favorite color. (I didn't know) They all left my room in high spirits to go to their next class. Then the complaints started coming in from other teachers. My kids were wearing their socks without any shoes because they liked them so much they wanted to show them off! Other students, ones I didn't even know, stopped by my classroom to ask if I could make THEM socks! My misfit, difficult, emotionally disabled students were the stars for the day. They skated down the halls and put their feet on their desks and showed off how much their teacher loved them. I was originally kind of bummed because I haven't been able to do much due to health issues. Heavenly Father was able to take what little I could do and turn it into a major blessing for my students.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a a lovely story---there really is a plan isn't there for Christmas to fill everyone's heart young or old, healthy or infirmed, rich or poor!!!!!! Thank you for sharing----Love ya!

Becky Noftle said...

I have a special place in my heart for the "challenging" EHBD students too. Way to go Rebecca!
Bonnie thanks for keeping up with me--sorry I've been absent in my replies, love you.